lunes, 24 de abril de 2017

someone I admire

Well, this post is about someone I would have liked to meet, but it's going to be more about someone I admire, and even tthough he died even before I was born, is someone I've always found interesting as an historical character, and I would like to talk a little about him.

Clotario Blest Riffo was a chilean union leader, who was very important in the fight for worker's rights during the 20th century. He is better known as the founder of the CUT (Unitary Central of Workers) and the ANEF (National Association of Public Employees). I admire him for many reasons, besides everything he achieved and created, I admire his commitment and persistence with the cause. He went to jail many times during his life, but nevertheless he kept taking the streets and fighting for what he thought was the right thing. I also like about him that he was a christian who, instead of keeping out of trouble and under the protection of the church, decided to be there with the people, fighting as equals, and I, as a christian too, I've always had a huge admiration for that kind consequence in religious people.

Some other facts about him is that he was in the seminary for many years, studying to be a priest, and he studied at the same time with Alberto Hurtado. Also, he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1980, but he didn't won.

Well, this is just a little tribute for someone I think was very important for chilean history, especially for the history of the people, and even though I guess he wasn't perfect, I think in many aspects he was, and still is, a role model.

This is a photo of Clotario Blest, "don Clota", with his characteristic beard, which he told he was not going to cut until the dictatorship was over.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario